Friday, August 31, 2012

Claude Suttle's Photos from the 1960s


Claude Suttle and his wife once lived at the first house on the left on the eastern end of Park Drive-- pictured above. He was a wonderful photographer who worked in black and white and sometimes sepiatone in the middle part of the last century, probably with a 35mm Single Lens Reflex camera. Pine Lake is richly featured, but he took photos all over the world. From time to time I use one of his images, scanned from 8" x 10" prints-- always with attribution.

One of Claude's favorite subjects-- understandably-- was his house. It looks much the same today.

Click READ MORE to see more images from the 1960s.











Today the house is obscured by trees; that's why there are no recent photos. The house looks much the same, however.

3 comments:

Memamabenson said...

Dallas, I never knew Uncle Claude and Mary living in this house. This was chief Harralson's house. The Suttles lived across Magnolia from us. Corner of Dogwood and Magnolia. They were dear friends and we were blessed to have our family history in photographs by Claude.

Memamabenson said...

You have done a great job with this blog. I learn something that I never knew every time I log on. Thanks.

Dallas Denny said...

Thanks so much for the kind words, Memama.

I guess I always assumed that was the Suttles' house since Claude too so very many pictures of it. I stand corrected.