Saturday, August 25, 2012

U-Spray


Long ago I discovered Do It Yourself Pest Control on Chamblee-Tucker Road. Within a week a long-running problem with ants had been solved-- with no bug spray, and for only a few dollars!

When I moved to Pine Lake I was visited with a variety of pests-- palmetto bugs, spiders, ants, and one year an infestation of rats. I knew how to get rid of the ants and rats-- with Grants for Ants base stations placed every six feet or so outside around the perimeter of my house and D-Con, respectively-- but I had no clue about the palmetto bugs.What the frak WERE those things? They looked like extras from a 1950s science fiction movie!

DIY Pest Control was now out of the way, but fortunately I found a similar store at 4653 Highway 78 in Lilburn. U-Spray sells much the same products and the staff has been helpful when I've visited-- which has been often.

I learned palmetto bugs live in trees and wander into houses in search of water. They promptly die, but not before scaring the bejesus out of anyone who encounters them. Alas, I learned, there's no easy way to get rid of them short of clear cutting one's property.

Grants for Ants keeps ants away. If I see ants (I get the itty bitty kind) I put stations outside, nearby, and they're gone a few days later. When rats got into my house (which happened on occasion until I plugged up their entry point with sheet metal), they promptly died. I keep termites under control with Advance bait stations, which I have placed around the perimeter of my house. As for palmetto bugs-- well, I've learned to live with them. I get a lot of exercise chasing them around with a shoe.

No comments: