Saturday, September 1, 2012

DragonCon Parade I


This morning at nine I found myself in an elevator at the Westin Hotel on Peachtree Street with Lois Lane, The Cat in the Hat, and a Ghostbuster. Legolas the Elf had almost got on, but at the last minute got into an animated conversation in the hallway with Mr. Spock-- something about ears.

At the next stop a three-foot-tall Dalek boarded. "Would you please press floor 6?" it said. "I don't seem to have any arms."

Yes, DragonCon is in Atlanta again.

I had planned to spend the entire day, but silly me, I hadn't pre-registered and the lines at the Sheraton (DragonCon uses five downtown hotels) were so long I decided to just watch the parade.

Lots of photos below the fold!


Let me just say I wish I'd shown up earlier with a folding chair and claimed a spot on the curb.

Why? Because the crowd along the route was six deep!


I managed to get to the third row, but my field of view was horribly restricted by the heads and moving arms of the folks in front of me. I took most of the photos that follow with my camera on its side.

Let me say that when you have a parade filled with assorted bad actors like this Wolverine...


... and this Wolverine...


 ... and this Wolverine...


... the Joker...



... Loki from Asgard...


... one half of the Blues Brothers...


...assorted Klingons...


...dark elves...


...demons from hell...


... Pirates of the Caribbean...


...barbarians...


...aging Borg...


... off-duty Imperial storm troopers...


... Predators...


...assorted mercenary armies...


.. Atlanta's homeless... no, wait, those are zombies...



... and Stan Lee...


... Atlanta's Finest must call on the worlds of fantasy and science fiction to help them with security.

Next: Parade Security

No comments: