Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Wetlands

Pine Lake was designed to provide recreational areas convenient to every house within the city limits. Some of the original green space is gone, but the city maintains a park across the street from City Hall and of course the lake.

Over the past five or so years the city government has provided additional public space in the form of two wetlands bordered by Snapfinger Creek-- a large one east (upstream) of the lake, and a smaller one west of the lake (downstream). The wetlands came about because of successful grant-writing by our city government. I'd love to know more about how it all came about. I know the upstream project, at least, was in the wind as early as 2000, for I remember former mayor Al Fowler talking about finding funds to develop upstream holding ponds  to serve as filters for the lake, removing sediment and bacteria.

In my next two posts I'll take a look in pictures and words at the Eastern and Western wetlands.

No comments: