Monday, April 18, 2011

Hummingbird!

The front door of my house faces east and I often open the door to the sun.

On Saturday morning I looked out and saw a pale blue hummingbird. It hovered for nearly a minute, ranging up and down the glass storm door, before it flew away.

My camera was just feet away, but I didn't want to move.

So I didn't get a photo, but I do have a picture to share with you.

I call it "The Aggressive Hummingbird Knocks Sweetie From the Platform While Chey Watches in Horror," and it will need a word of explanation.

First, that hummer really is aggressive. He will bump your avatar in a New York minute. Second, Sweetie is a pseudonym for the avatar name of my girlfriend, who for reasons I cannot begin to comprehend wishes to disguise her real fictional name. It may be because of the incident at the airport. Third, we staged the photo on our beautiful tropical archipelago in the virtual world Second Life, where you can do pretty much anything you can do in real life, and a lot more besides.

Finally, Chey is my avatar. She's the figure in the background.

Second Life is free to join. Go here if you're interested, or here to read my long-running blog about the ongoing adventures of Cheyenne and Sweetie and Whimsy, our beautiful and dangerous tropical home.

No comments: