Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Little House in Pine Lake: Part I of 7: The House Beckons

Here's my little house on Pine Drive in Pine Lake.


It was 1998. I was driving around with a friend who was ready to sell her condo in Avondale and buy a house. I had no particular notion of buying a home. We looked here and there in Dekalb, and then one day I suggested we try Pine Lake. I had only a vague notion of the town, having driven once around the lake nearly ten years earlier.

When we arrived, we found the city charming. Pine Lake, which had been run-down in the early 90s, was gentrifying, and house prices were up-- but still within reason. My friend considered a number of homes, but eventually decided on a large house that abuts a little lake on Elam Road, barely a mile from the city.

I liked the houses that were for sale, but one in particular appealed to me. We called the number on the sign in the front yard and talked to Warren Akins, the husband of owner Janelle. Warren told us to go around back to the shed and lift the sponge there and get the key and take a look around and call him back if we were interested. I loved that! I went into the shed and sure enough, there was the key.



My friend and I walked through the freshly-painted and empty house. She decided against it. I, however, was intrigued, and visited the next day, this time by myself. I could see myself living in that house.Truly.

I phoned again and talked to Warren and Janelle, and before I knew it we had settled on terms and conditions. They dropped the price $3500 and offered to finance the house. I said yes.

Having previously studied amortization tables, I knew I didn't want a thirty-year mortage, or even a twenty. I ran the numbers for fifteen years; the payment was within reason, and that's what I went with.

I chose the house for a number of reasons. First was price. I could afford it. Second was location. It was in a beautiful little community, close to work, and only feet from the beach at the lake. Third was size. At about 1250 square feet, it was just right for one person and adequate for two, and I really liked the open floor plan. Fourth was the funkiness factor. Pine Lake was the antithesis of the uptight gated communities in Cobb County and the status-conscious neighborhoods of Northern Fulton County. It was a place with pterodactyls on roofs. It was like girl scout camp. I loved it.

I moved in in December 1998. Eleven years later, having renegotiated my lease with Janelle to lower interest and reduce the term, I mailed in my last payment, and the little house on Pine Drive was really and truly mine.

No comments: