Thursday, April 21, 2011

My Little House in Pine Lake: Part 3 of 7: Shabby Lady

When I bought my house in 1985 it had been rented for more than decade. Here are two interior photos taken during the rental period:






The house was of course empty of furniture when I did my initial walkthrough. The renters had been kind to the structure, but the house was decidedly dowdy.

In the kitchen there was an inexpensive but decent Sears electric stove and a rusty avacado-green refrigerator from the 1960s. The tiny but efficient laundry room featured a half-sized non-stackable washer and dryer (something I had never before seen and haven't seen since). There was no dishwasher, no stove hood. The light fixtures were aging and the yard needed landscaping. But the essentials were there. My shabby lady was structurally sound, with floors, plumbing, wiring, siding, and roof that were just thirteen years old. She was solid as a rock. She just needed sprucing up.

No comments: