Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Some Things I Saw On My Walk


Here's a Do Not Enter sign near the intersection of Spruce and Ridge. Obviously it's been there a long time. It's unclear just what one is not supposed to enter, as the yard has a hurricane fence. My best guess is it's meant to deter people from driving the wrong way on one-way Spruce Drive and somehow got rotated 90 degrees. What do you think?

In the meantime, please don't drive through the fence into the tree.


There's a birdhouse very much like this one in the Eastern wetlands. I believe it's a house for purple martins.



I like this shot. Click it to see it full size.


I love the things people put in their yards!


A lot of Atlanta neighborhoods would bring out the lynch mobs for a plastic flamingo like this.


I've seen fish just like this in the lake.


I'd like to know the story of this broken bungee cord. Sorry for the blurry photo.


Improvised roadside retention device.


I love this latch on Phil Howland's house.


I love this entry to former Mayor Greg Zarus' house, but it's lacking in massiveness. I'd like to sneak over one night and replace those 4" x 4"s with 10" x 10"s.


This great summerhouse sits on my friend George Treadwell's lot. If I owned it I'd hang a television from the rafters and spend all my time there!


The room on the roof of this house has always intrigued me. I always figured the stairwell would take up most of the room. A couple of weeks ago I was talking to Matt Pultz, who knows the owner; he told me entry is via a ladder. Okay, now it makes sense.


I wonder about this board. Was it a sign? Was it once part of a ladder? Or did someone put it there for the hell of it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are terribly over-signed in the city, making it likely to miss the really important ones. The entrance to the city, from the church and garage, is the worst. For newcomers, it' the first impression of Pine Lake, one big tattered, confusing mess. One way, no soliciting, no littering, no parking, C.O.P.S., city hall, etc., ad nauseum. Some suggestions: post speed limit signs at the entrances to the city. Remove the littering, slow, soliciting, neighborhood watch signs (cops.) These notices should go on a single info sign, installed at no more than three strategic locations around town. Rethink the need for some "no parking this side" signs...they are frequently ignored. I know we have to be able to get emergency vehicle through, but geesh.

I believe, if we put our minds to it, we can de clutter the lake by removing many of these signs, and actually, improve the chances of compliance with the most vital ones.

Paul on Dahlia

Dallas Denny said...

Good point, Paul. I like the idea of multiple sign stations to replace lots and lots of signs.