Friday, March 30, 2012

Goose Catch


I awoke this morning at eight am. Thirty seconds after I opened my eyes I heard a crash-- a big one.

Oh, God, I said to myself. I sure hope my car didn't just roll down the driveway and crash into a house.

Thirty minutes later I was on the lake, where I saw this trailer full of geese.


Beside it Phil Howland was standing with these guys:


That device in their hands is a rocket. The boom I had heard was it firing, dragging a net across the swimming area.

There were still Canada geese on the lake, but they were too skittish to catch.

In June and July they'll be molting and will be easier to corral. That's when the rocket will return.

Too many geese on the lake creates a problem, for their poop raises the bacteria count.

A lot of geese fly in and out, but some like it so much here they stay. Those are the ones who will be trapped.

Geese who were nesting weren't trapped, by the way-- they're still there.

No comments: