Monday, May 2, 2011

1952: Building the Berm

A Berm is Added to the Back Side of Pine Lake
Chief Purvis is at Left, I.B. Melton at Right
The Child is Probably Mayor Melton's Son
From what I gather, Snapfinger Creek once flowed directly into Pine Lake to the east and flowed out to the west. There was no berm on the north side of the lake.

The written introduction to the old Pine Lake scrapbook notes the year the berm was installed: 1952, the same year the book was written. If not for that information, I would have thought from the equipment used that it was ten years earlier.

From the photos that follow, the lake wasn't drained before the berm was made. I wonder how they did that!


Northeast Corner of the Lake, Spruce Drive
Standing are Chief Purvis and I.B. Melton










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Pine Lake & know it well! Was surprised to see this blog. We lived there from 1959 until 1967. Have loads of memories of Chief Purvis & Lake. A great place to grow up!toesvin 0

Dallas Denny said...

Thanks for your comment. The town and the lake are doing well. I love living here.

There's an effort to collect Pine Lake historical documents and photos and send them to the Dekalb Historical Society. I'm scanning photos and letters people want to keep and we're happily accepting anything related to the city. We're also doing oral histories, in case you're interested.