Sunday, July 29, 2012

All Day In the Car, Part II: The Trail of the Dragon


Before 1992 it was just U.S. 129, a rarely-traveled sinuous mountain road that snaked its way 14 miles from Fontana Dam across Deal's Gap to the Little Tennessee River. Then Doug Snavely drove up from Road Atlanta. He drove it and fell in love with it and began to popularize it. Today it's known as The Trail of the Dragon and is the premiere drive for motorcyclists and sports car enthusiasts. People travel thousands of miles to drive its 318 curves. Traffic is heavy, and tourism is booming.




 I left Fontana and drove the gap. The views were stunning...



... and the driving was fabulous!


I was throwing my Miata into curves-- left, then right, then left again. Way fun!

I didn't drive THIS fast...


... but then again, I sort of did much of the time.

One of the many roadside photographers captured me as I drove past. I was willing to spend $7.50 for an image, but not willing to pay five bucks more to have it frigging snail mailed to me-- so here's a gratuitous image of a late-model Miata on the Dragon.

For the record, here's a screen capture of me on the Tail of the Dragon:


There were hundreds of motorcycles. Most were Harleys, but this sport bike makes for a better image.


Despite its appeal, the Dragon is a working road. One is apt to encounter big trucks that fill both lanes-- and I did. I didn't get a photo, but here's what it pretty much looked like:



There are an average of 1-2 fatalities a year on the Dragon-- many from heart attacks.

A number of feature films have included footage from the Dragon-- The Fugitive, Two-Lane Blacktop,

The Dragon's popularity has led to other once-deserted roads being named and becoming instant destinations: Moonshiner's 28, Devil's Triangle, Diamondback, and, right here in Georgia, Six Gap. And of course, people flock to them.

So... I survived the Dragon-- but I was beginning to realize I had survived it before.

Next: All Day in the Car, Part III: Back Through the Years I Go Wandering Once Again

No comments: