Sunday, July 29, 2012

All Day in the Car, Part I: Miatas at the Gap


It was cool until 1:30 am. That's when the air conditioner froze up.

I climbed out of bed and turned the unit on fan and sat on the couch for 15 minutes or so listening to ice falling. When everything was back in order I turned the air on high and went back to bed-- until 6 am, when I had to do it again.

I was up at 8:30, in time for my usual morning phone call from my sweetie (the room had cell reception-- just). Then I was down the road a half-mile to the Ingles grocery store in hopes of breakfast that wasn't forthcoming. This particular Ingles had no breakfast.

I checked out of my room at 9:30 and drove, top-down, through a beautiful morning along curvy mountain roads.


 I stopped to see Fontana Lake and watch drivers negotiate the curves.



I arrived at Fontana Village around 10:15, as planned. Things were just getting underway.



I found a spot to park between, surprise, two Miatas, and made my way to the vendor area.


. I went straight for something I'd been seeing on other Miatas-- the Cool Breeze scoop


The Cool Breeze Scoop clips to the top of the windshield and directs air toward the Miata's floorboards, which have no vents. The wire screen stops bugs and leaves and the triangular foil channels air to the left and right.

.
Considering the day I was to have, it was a great purchase at $32.00.

Next: All Day in the Car, Part II: The Tail of the Dragon

No comments: