Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wind*ws and D**rs

IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO LEAVE SPAM IN THE COMMENTS OF THIS POST, DON'T BOTHER. I WILL REMOVE YOUR SALES-RELATED COMMENTS IMMEDIATELY.

I am using replacing the w and d words with w*nd*ws and d**rs in hopes of reducing the frequency of the frigging spam comments, which are still rolling in after years.


With homes in the city being broken into with depressing regularity, it's prudent to secure your home.

Sash locks and deadbolts can help.


Available at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Ace Hardware, sash locks allow you to secure your w*nd*ws with key locks; most allow you to lock them closed or partially open (of course not open enough to allow someone to crawl through). They sell for about $15 per w*nd*w. I good a good deal on four with identical keys on eBay.

They're fairly easy to install; all you need is an electric drill with bits of the proper size and a screwdriver.

Sash locks won't stop thieves from smashing out the w*nd*w frame and entering your home, but it will stop them from being able to slide open your window (even if they break the glass) and gain easy entry.

D**db*lts make it more difficult for thieves to kick in a d**r because they create an additional point of reinforcement. I have double d**db*lts on both my d**rs, meaning k*ys are required on both sides. I don't lock the d**db*lts when I'm inside the house, but when I'm away, even for a short trip to the grocery, I do.


With s*sh l*cks and d**db*lts the only way a thief is getting into my house is by smashing in my d**rs (not as easy as it looks in the movies) or hammering out an entire divided w*nd*w. This can of
course be done, but thieves are looking for easy marks and don't want to be taking sledgehammers to houses.

Monitored home alarms are good, but I would consider securing my
d**rs and w*nd*ws first.

5 comments:

Justin Smith said...

Hello. It is important to secure your home.I am using traditional Fitch pattern lock, it is simple to use and operate.

Cheyenne Palisades said...

Fitch locks are entirely insecure. Thieves can just break the pane, flip the lock, and open the window. What is it with this post and spammers?

John Williams said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John Williams said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dallas Denny said...

Fuck you, John Williams you goddamned spammer. Get it through your thick head that I will immediate delete any comment you make.