Friday, December 9, 2011

Little Honda



In 1969 I bought, brand new, a Honda CL70 exactly like the one pictured above.

With a 70-cc air-cooled single cylinder four-stroke engine, a four-street gearbox, high pipes, and top speed of about 55 mph, it was a sweet little machine. It cost me, to the best of my recollection, $430.

It was my only transportation. For more than a year I rode it daily from my parents house to college (about 20 miles each way) and to work (30 miles each way). Once a week I would change the oil, and about every 10,000 miles I would rebuild the top end-- an easy job, since the cylinder head was in the open; it cost me around $20 and took three hours, including the hour-long trip each way to get the cylinder honed.

That Honda was reliable and, for its displacement, fast. I zipped along for some 45,000 miles before the piston rod came out of the crankcase. It still looked brand new.

Before I could save enough to buy a replacement engine, I got married-- and that was that for the little Honda.

Of all the motorcycles I've owned-- and there have been plenty-- that CL70 was my favorite. And so, when I retired, I found one on eBay and bought it.


My new CL70 was a 1971 model, different from my 1969 in two ways-- the gas tank and speedometer nacelle had been redesigned.


I would have preferred to have found a 1969 model, but the 1971 was in perfect condition-- in almost every way like a brand new motorcycle.



I park it in my living room (in two years it's not leaked a single drop!) and about once a month take it out for a spin. Perhaps you've seen me on the road.

Why a motorcycle? Well, it captures a bit of my youth and it serves as a second vehicle. I know from experience it's reliable and will go long distances-- and it was inexpensive to purchase (I bought it for $850) and operate. It gets a good 100 miles per gallon, insurance costly only $57 a year, and parts are inexpensive and easy to find on eBay. And with its retro look it's way cooler than those silly scooters everyone is driving these days:


Although I have to admit, the new Vespas are way cool:


I wouldn't suggest just anyone should go out and buy a motorcycle or scooter for a second vehicle-- new riders have a high accident rate-- but if you know how to ride and are past that bump, why not?

No comments: