Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Visit to the American Museum of Natural History: Diomaras


On Monday Heather and I caught the bus into New York City to visit the American Museum of Natural History.

I've been telling her the bus is more convenient than the train (the train requires a transfer), so don't you know it, we had an hour delay because of a wreck on the way in, and heavy traffic on the way back.

From the Port Authority Bus Terminal we caught the C subway four stops and didn't even have to go to the street to enter the museum.

One of my favorite museums is the natural history museum at the Smithsonian, so I had high hopes. I wasn't exactly disappointed, but I found the AMNH poorly lit and the displays poorly designed. In general, there was too much stuff and not enough explanation. Still, I had a good time-- until it was time to eat.

Both the salad and hot bars were priced by the quarter pound-- $2.99 for four ounces! I knew prices would be high, but that was just out of line. The man in front of us paid $68 for a light lunch for himself and his son.

So anyway, even though it was dark and I wasn't allowed to use flash, I got pictures.

My favorite is the photo of the elephants, above. The African Mammals diorama room was dark, but by bracing my camera on the railing on the balcony I was able to get an in-focus shot.

Here are some shots I got of the various dioramas.















No comments: