Thursday, June 21, 2012

George Treadwell's Summerhouse


I love George Treadwell's summerhouse!

It's big, about 20 feet long and 8 or 9 feet wide, with a solid roof and screen on all four sides. The view above was taken from Park Drive.

It has a stone chimney, made of granite from the old quarry at Stone Mountain, so it's been there a while-- a while being like sixty years. Here's a side view, taken from Ivy Road.


Doesn't that just scream girl scout camp? If that great structure was in my yard I would spend half my time in it. I would even sleep in it (locking the door securely, of course).

You know George's house. Sure you do. It's the red-and-white cottage with deer antlers above the door. It sits on Park Drive just west of Ivy.

I'm sure I have a picture... Yes!


I like George's house a lot. The ceiling in the living room (just behind the antlers) is vaulted, and to the east is a sunroom. Very nice!

George's kitchen is big and old-fashioned, the way a kitchen should be.

Yep, I like George's house a lot. But I LOVE his summerhouse!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on the building. I always look when I'm walking my dogs and I thought maybe it was an unused chicken coop. (I'm not very imaginative). Thank you for letting me know now exactly what it is. I also wanted to know who lived in the red house with the antlers. Deborah on Club House

Dallas Denny said...

You're welcome.

There ARE chicken coops in the city, and apparently some really close to my house, but I've not spotted them yet. Goats, too.

Anonymous said...

That looks like the old Martin house. They lived in it back in the 60's 70's I know cause I used to do the yard work for them. The building is a screened in bbq pit that I had to wash out a few times too even though I don't think they ever used it.

Dallas Denny said...

I've been in the outbuilding. I would totally hang out in it if it was in my yard.

Did the Martin house have antlers on the front?