Thursday, February 2, 2012

My Little Buddy


I spent the last couple of days removing the fall's accumulation of leaves in my yard. Today, near the back of my lot, I spotted this little fellow while raking. He's about 10" to 12" long.

As I bent to get a look at him he thrust at me a couple of times, then stopped moving. I'm pretty sure it was part of his defensive pattern, but there's a chance the rake hurt him. I hope not.

I gently moved him into the leaves, but not before running into the house to get my camera.


The parallel lines on the back, the markings on the head, and the light underbelly (not seen in the photo) indicate he's a Dekay's brown snake, according to my herps field guides. It was undoubtedly adult, since the species grows only to 10" or so.

Did I tell you my master's thesis was on the feeding behavior of garter snakes? I lived in the reptile lab for three years.

This is the first you're hearing of it? Imagine that! How could I not have told you!?

Brown snakes are harmless, of course-- they feed snails and slugs-- but even if he'd been a copperhead or rattlesnake I would have let him go. Snakes are beneficial.

No comments: