Sunday, October 28, 2007

Welcome to My Blog!

Written 28 October, 2007

Hi there and welcome to my blog about the tiny town of Pine Lake, GA!

Pine Lake, population between 600 and 800 (there is some disagreement between the U.S. Census Bureau and our mayor) is an incorporated city right in the middle of the huge metropolitan area of Atlanta.

Atlanta is a huge metropolis with the world's businest airport (sometimes Chicago's O'Hare pulls briefly ahead), a population of early 5 million, about 4 million of whom are yuppies, and more McMansions than you can shake a stick at.

In the middle of Atlanta's hauteur and grandeur lies Pine Lake, full of little houses and quirky people, looking like a summer camp in stark contrast to the "chateaux" (that's actually the name of a nearby subdivision).

I moved here in 1998, when I bought my first-ever house, an edifice that began life in 1936 as a one-room cabin with outdoor plumbing and a well. It was built when Pine Lake was a vacation spot, a blue-collar resort in which bitsy 20x100 foot plots of land were priced at $69.95 and the world was experiencing the lead-up to World War II.

My house has grown since then, and so has Pine Lake. I'll be writing about both, and more, in this blog.

Feel free to comment, and here's to ya!

Dallas

No comments: