Saturday, July 28, 2012

Zoom Zoom


I'm just back from an event called Miatas at the Gap. It was the sixteenth annual gathering, and I heard about it only on Monday!


2012 Miata Touring
MATG is for owners, drivers, and enthusiasts of Mazda's Miata sports car, which, upon its introduction in 1989, revived and reimagined the roadster-- the two-seat convertible with sporty handling. It was the descendant of Italy's Fiat Cabriolets and Spyders and Alpha Romeos and Ferraris, the UK's Sunbeams, Austin-Healeys, Triumphs, and MGs, and Germany's Porsche Speedsters and Mercedes SL series-- and before them, models with running boards.

The MGA Was Produced from 1955-1962
Every summer hundreds of Miatas converge on tiny Fontana Village in the mountains of lower Western North Carolina for driving, socializing, Miata talk, and, oh  yes, driving.

So when I learned of the event I said to myself, "Hey, wait! I have a Miata!"

My Miata at Scenic Overlook Above Fontana Lake
I told myself I'd had my car for three years without a single adventure under my belt. It was time to have one.

And so come Thursday morning I was on the road, heading for Robbinsville, a little town 18 windy miles to the south of Fontana and the nearest place with available lodging. The top was up because of the heat and the GPS I've had for three years and never used was stuck on the windshield.

All was fine for a while. Then the GPS died from lack of power.

The charger was plugged into the power port, but it was getting no electricity. By twisting the plug, I finally managed to get the I Have Power indicator light to come on and the GPS was back on line--but by then it didn't like the route and took me west across 50 or so miles of winding roads before turning me north again. Oh, well, I thought; I came on this trip to drive around curves.


I reached Robbinsville at 3 pm, hot because of an underperforming air conditioner (it needs charging). I had no trouble finding my motel.

 I knew I was in the right place because a man in the parking space next to mine was washing his Miata.


I walked to the restaurant next door and ate what turned out to be my only meal of the day-- a burger and fries. Back in my blessedly cold room I had time for a shower and a nap before driving across the street to line up for a group drive down the Chereohala Skyway and back.

Next: The Chereohala Skyway Run

No comments: